These carrot, cheese, and oregano breadsticks will be your new favorite snack. Breadsticks are a very popular snack in Greece. They are a dry, baked, crispy type of bread, usually in the form of a stick. You can find them in almost every bakery, and there are a lot of different colors, flavors, and shapes.
In Greece, they are called kritsinia but around the world, they are known as dipping sticks, grissini, or grissino, and they originated in Italy.
This recipe is one of our favorite. It combines the sweetness of the carrot with the saltiness of the cheese and creates a tasty breadstick that is crispy on the outside, but still a bit soft on the inside.
🤔 What are the health benefits of carrots?
Carrots come in many colors and sizes. The most common and well-known carrot is the orange, but all of them are filled with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They are especially high in vitamin A, K, and C, potassium, carotenoids, and beta-carotene.
Because of these components, carrots can be good for eye health, reducing the chances of cataracts and eye problems, and protect our skin from sunburns. Also, adding carrots to your diet helps with weight loss, and they are linked to a lower risk of cancer and lower cholesterol. Carrots also help boost the immune system, because of vitamin C, and they can also help with constipation, gut health, and keeping lower blood sugar levels.
📝 Ingredients for the carrot, cheese & oregano breadsticks
Carrots: Grate the carrots 🥕 very fine by hand or with a food processor.
Cheese: Use any type of hard cheese 🧀. I have used kefalotyri or kefalograviera, parmesan, old Amsterdam, and Gouda, and they all have worked perfectly. adding a different flavor profile each time. My favorites are with kefalotyri or old Amsterdam.
Oregano: Dried Greek oregano adds an extra depth of flavor to the breadsticks. Use fresh oregano or another herb if you like. Basil, rosemary, or thyme, are all good alternatives.
Flour: Use any kind of flour that you like. The mixture may need more or less flour depending on the altitude, humidity, and weather. When making gluten-free breadsticks, I am using 1 to 1 gluten-free flour, and it usually needs 280g (9.87oz) of flour to make the breadsticks.
Olive oil: This is what gives their unique taste to these breadsticks.
Water: Use warm water from the tap. It may need 1 tablespoon more or less water depending on the flour that we use.
Sweetener: Use honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar, for naturally sweetened breadsticks.
👩🏻🍳 Tips & tricks
If the breadsticks are made gluten-free, it is easier to use a piping bag to shape them, instead of rolling them into sticks.
Flour or oil your hands so that is easier to roll and give shape to the breadsticks.
Use a mixture of olive oil and sunflower oil for a lighter flavor and texture.
When the breadsticks come out of the oven they are still a little soft, but when they cool down they become crispy.
Different oven means different baking times. Start checking them after 25 minutes.
🍽 How to serve the carrot, cheese & oregano breadsticks
Breadsticks are traditionally eaten as a snack. You can serve them:
- Alongside cheese or meat boards
- With drinks as aperitivo
- Soup or salad croutons
- For dipping into sauces or dips
🥡 How to store the carrot, cheese & oregano breadsticks
Let the breadsticks cool completely and store them in a glass jar or an airtight container for 5 to 7 days. If they start to become soft, put them back in a hot oven for 5 minutes.
I do not recommend freezing breadsticks. They lose their crunchiness.
😋 Are you looking for some other snack ideas?
If you looking for some extra snack ideas, check these too:
Carrot, Cheese & Oregano Breadsticks
- 120 g/4.23 oz grated carrots
- 60 g/2.11 oz grated hard cheese Kefalotyri
- 120 g/4.23 oz olive oil extra virgin
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Greek
- 60 ml/¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey/maple syrup
- 300 g/10.58 oz Spelt flour or 1 to 1 gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and oregano.
- Make a well in the middle and pour the honey, water, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Add the grated carrots and cheese. Stir to combine, then knead until the dough is elastic and all the ingredients are very well combined.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F) and place parchment paper on a large baking tray.
- Separate the dough into small balls of 25g (0.9oz).
- Slightly dust a working surface with flour and roll each piece into a stick (log), about 16cm (6.3 inches) long. Transfer the breadsticks to the baking tray. Allow some space between each stick.
- Bake until golden and crispy, for about 25 to 35 minutes.
- When ready, transfer in cooling racks and let the breadsticks cool completely.
🍋 Nutrition facts
Servings: 1 (27g) | Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5.4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 3.73g | Vitamin A: 32IU | Vitamin C: 4.2mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 0.62mg | Phosphorus: 91mg | Manganese: 0.357mg