Every household in Greece has a pie recipe without phyllo pastry. We call them naked pies (gimnopites), dough pies (zimaropites), or flour pies (alevropites). For this Greek cheese yogurt pie, I'll use the name zimaropita.
What is a Greek cheese pie with yogurt?
This specific pie is a dough pie (zimaropita). Zimaropita was the poor man's pie, made with whatever produce was available at the household, and it could be either fried or baked. This pie type is very typical in the regions of Thessaly and Epirus.
I learned how to make pies like this when I was a student in Larissa, Thessaly. Later, I found it very easy to convert them into gluten-free since they have a moist batter and you can use a lot of different combinations of filling.
Ingredients for making Greek cheese yogurt pie
Eggs: I am using organic eggs. Eggs are a good source of high-quality protein, and in this recipe, I use them as a leavening and binding agent.
Olive oil: I am using mild olive oil. It's one of the healthiest fats in the world. The stronger the olive oil is, the more intense its flavor will be in the pie.
Cheese: I use a combination of Greek cheeses to give a unique flavor to this pie. Feta cheese is tangy, mizithra cheese is creamy, kefalotyri is salty, strong, and spicy.
Yogurt: Use a full-fat Greek (not Greek style) yogurt to get the best creaminess out of it.
Flour: I am using a combination of gluten-free flours to make my batter as tasty as possible. The baking powder is also mixed with the flour.
Spices: I use nutmeg and sweet paprika for their warm and aromatic flavor, and black pepper and salt because they are a staple in Mediterranean food.
Herbs: I use spearmint or mint for its delicate almost sweet flavor and intense fragrance.
Tips & tricks
If you can't find mizithra cheese, a good substitute is ricotta cheese.
If you can't find kefalotyri cheese, you can replace it with pecorino or parmesan cheese.
Kasseri can be replaced with gouda cheese.
Serve this pie as breakfast, lunch, or dinner, on its own or with a simple green or cucumber-tomato salad.
How to store the Greek cheese yogurt pie
Keep zimaropita in an airtight container, after completely cooled down, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the pie, after it cools down completely. Cut it into pieces and place it in a ziplock bag for up to 2 months. It's better to place parchment paper between the pieces, to prevent them from sticking and defrost individual pieces easier.
Do you like savory pies?
Check out this delicious pie too:
Greek Cheese Pie With Yoghurt
- ⅓ cup/80 ml olive oil
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 ½ cup + 2 tbsp/400g Greek yoghurt 5% fat
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder gluten-free
- 2 cups/300g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup/150g kefalotyri or kasseri cheese grated
- ⅔ cup/300g crumbled mizithra cheese
- ⅓ cup/40g fine corn flour
- 4.9 oz/140g self-rising flour gluten-free
- 2 tablespoon fresh spearmint/mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon black & white sesame seed optional
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F) and line a 36x28 cm (14.5x11 inches) baking pan with parchment paper or brush it with olive oil, butter, or margarine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the olive oil, eggs, and yogurt and stir with a metal whisk until combined and fluffy.
- Add spices, baking powder, and flours, and whisk until just incorporated.
- Add the cheeses, spearmint/mint, and mix well. The mixture will be moist.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan, level it equally with a spatula, and sprinkle with sesame seeds (if applicable).
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown at the top.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut it into pieces and serve warm or cold.
- Enjoy 🙂
Servings: 1 (80g) | Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.21g | Protein: 10.86g | Fat: 9.41g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.006g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 401mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 1.49g | Vitamin A: 238IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 238mg | Iron: 1.22mg